HIPAA / HITECH Compliance
THE HIPAA COMPLIANCE CHALLENGE: KNOWING WHERE TO START
Some organizations implemented HIPAA security and privacy programs when HIPAA compliance first became an obligation nearly a decade ago. Many of those organizations failed to keep the program current. Others did continue to measure and improve their security and privacy using HIPAA as a guideline. With HITECH, the landscape changed and Business Associates, many previously unconcerned with HIPAA compliance are starting or upgrading security programs to meet the new requirements.
ASSESSING HIPAA / HITECH COMPLIANCE ISN'T A ONE SIZE FITS ALL PROPOSITION
Under HIPAA, privacy relates to how those in the healthcare industry collect, use, disclose, maintain and destroy individuals' health information. Security relates to a specific set of requirements for health information that is collected, used, disclosed and/or maintained electronically. For many entities, HIPAA compliance was and remains confusing and expensive.
Assessing compliant programs, rebuilding those that have drifted into a state of non-compliance and building programs from scratch requires a different starting point. Jacadis will work with you to identify your best starting point and then help you answer the following questions, when it is appropriate given your unique situation:
- Compliance Workshop: Are you executives and key operating staff aware of how you are meeting the requirement and obligations of the HIPAA Security Rule, Privacy Rule and HITECH updates?
- Compliance Gap Assessment: Are your meeting the requirement and obligations of the HIPAA Security Rule, Privacy Rule and HITECH updates?
- Risk Assessment: Have you conducted a thorough assessment of the potential risks and vulnerabilities to the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of electronic protected health information as required by the HIPAA Security Rule or HITECH's Meaningful Use provisions?
- Security Evaluation: Are your HIPAA security controls reasonable, appropriate, and effective?
Request for information
- Overwatch: Staying on Top of Your Vulnerabilities Posted by Jerod Brennen - 2013-01-09 13:26:36
- Jacadis ... Bigger. Faster. Stronger. Posted by Douglas Davidson - 2013-01-10 10:30:51
- Disabling Java in Your Web Browser(s) Posted by Jerod Brennen - 2013-01-14 09:00:12
- HHS unveils Final HIPAA (HITECH) Omnibus Rule Posted by Jacadis - 2013-01-23 14:56:40